Saturday, April 13, 2013

Everyone's a kid at Xmas


The Christmas pile. I know. Lucky huh? And what is it now, March? April?! Well actually I got through quite a bit of recreational reading over the glorious summer break. We didn't know it was a drought back then, so it was just an enjoyably uncomplicated long stretch of wonderful weather able to be savoured without guilt at the plight of the farmers and the wildlife and the water catchments.

One of the pile of treasured volumes that came into my life around Christmas time was The Margaret Mahy Treasury (Puffin, 2012) a lovely large hard cover illustrated edition of eleven of Margaret's most well-known and well-loved stories. With a CD of her reading some of them! Who could resist? Not me. Every now and then I read a story aloud to the bloke. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.



No comments: