Saturday, April 13, 2013

Do not neglect the classics


Here's a post-Xmas pile of books, in case you're interested. I'm always intrigued by what other people are reading, and love to take a sly or obvious look at what they choose to put on their bookshelves, in real life or on the internet.

I've been known to get a magnifying glass out so I can peruse the bookshelves in a magazine photograph.

And I love it when people put an image of their latest pile of bedside reading on their blogs or wherever the pix go these days.

This pile had some classics in it. The one I want to single out just now is The Book of Secrets by the magnificent Fiona Kidman. This evergreen that has never been out of print since first publication in 1987 has recently been reissued in a new edition and has become a bestseller all over again. I had never read it before (not being naturally drawn to historical fiction, although I am overcoming that prejudice by discovering that the genre doesn't entirely consist of sentimental nonsense and bodice-ripping). I was in for a great pleasure, a good read, and a learning experience about a clearly well-researched topic: the settlement of Waipu by a religious community. Another superb work of literary/historical fiction by Fiona Kidman that I can recommend is The Captive Wife.




No comments: