Monday, November 23, 2009

Loving Spoonbills


When I moved to this bay about six weeks ago, my neighbour told me "the spoonbills will arrive in a couple of weeks". And so they did. They've been here for a while, but one morning last week when I was out at the mail box by the water, a large impossibly bright white bird flew down from somewhere, and finding the tide still too high, made a lazy circle around me, just above the front lawn, and then came to rest nearby on a pile of rocks on the small beach below the sea wall. It was the closest encounter I'd ever had with a spoonbill and it was just the beginning of a superb day in birdland. That was the day the godwits arrived. I hadn't even been promised godwits, I didn't know they fed here sometimes. They've achieved the status of mythical being for me and to have a whole flock of them just out in the bay made everything OK, along the lines of "yet see the red-gold cirrus" (James K. Baxter) or "Not every man has bavarian gentians in his house" (D.H. Lawrence).

Yet see the royal spoonbills...

Not every one has bar-tailed godwits out their kitchen window...

No comments: