Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pavlova Nirvana


Here's a pavlova just the way I like it. Home made. Crisp - even hard - shell, that rings when you bang your spoon against it! Under the crust, are pockets of air, a bit of squishy delicate fluff, and the merest touch of sugary stickiness. Perfection. Just like mother used to make, and unless you make your own, it's a very rare example of the genre these days in this era of the mass-produced cowardly marshmallow pav you can buy in the supermarket.

This one is to be had at Tony's Wellesley Street Restaurant in Auckland. I had it after the carpetbagger steak (stuffed with oysters). It's no wonder I'm losing the battle with my waistband!

I like the fact that the cream is served only on one side, and so can be scraped off easily. I don't care for whipped cream as it gives me a headache.

"The Original Tony's" claims to be Auckland's oldest surviving restaurant and it certainly has been there for as long as I can remember. It's great to get a table by the window and watch the world go by. And the world does indeed go by - just off Queen Street, it's one of those places in the world when eventually you will happen upon almost anybody you can think of...

3 comments:

The Bird said...

I've never had a pavlova but it sure looks & sounds decadent!!

The Paradoxical Cat said...

hello Bird - the Pavlova is indeed decadent, being a confection of highly refined cane sugar beaten to a frenzy with stiffly whipped white of egg, and cooked at a very low temperature. It's delicious, and if you don't succumb to the cream dressing, it's a low-fat treat. It is usually served with an acid fruit like kiwi or passionfruit or berries, and the tart and sweet combination is divine. :-)

Happy Halloween!

Rachael King said...

I had my first job at Tony's Wellesley St, aged 17. Supported myself by working 4 nights a week while living in my first flat and attending my first year at uni. :-)