Monday, September 28, 2009

Off the rails


On the subject of small presses...

"The Earl of Seacliff Art Workshop" is a small press that has been there when it counted.

ESAW celebrates 25 years this December, a remarkable feat, and is to release the above collector's edition to commemorate.

To pre-order your copy, contact details for the indomitable Michael O'Leary are on the ESAW website.

I have to admit sheepishly that I'm among the tribute-payers included in this volume. I've contributed a couple of tongue-in-cheek poems (including "Blood on the McCahon" - based on a true story) and some seemingly improbable anecdotes.

O'Leary likes trains almost as much as I do, and we have over the years shared many a happy rail journey together. Probably the best of my memories are from when we both lived in the small village Seacliff, North of Dunedin, and we used to flag the long distance passenger train the Southerner down so we could catch it into town.

1 comment:

Mary McCallum said...

European friends of ours swear Michael O'Leary looks like an Italian filmstar they know. He's a fabulous filmstar of a man all right. And he has some of the most fun of any publisher I know.