Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Did the earth move for you?

Well, there was an earthquake about 20 minutes ago and that's what it looks like on Geonet.

(The red colouring indicates that the extent of the line has been abbreviated because the quake was so big that the 'needle' swung out to the edge of the 'paper'.)

'I'm still settling down. As is the earth, apparently.

There have been lots and lots of 'aftershocks' since the major quake a few weeks ago.

I managed to feel this one very well as I am currently sitting at my computer in South Dunedin where, apparently, when "the big one" hits, the reclaimed land will liquify and many houses will be shaken so fiercely they will disintegrate...

This was the biggest 'aftershock' as far as I know, and it was a bit alarming. I went and stood under the door frame.

But at 6.1 on the Richter scale, this particular tremor was not probably big enough to move Dunedin another 1 cm closer to Australia, as the monster 7.8 quake last month did.

One cm closer! I can't wait till we get there!

3 comments:

lmrb said...

Moving closer is part of a plot out of Canberra - the federal government has its dry eye on NZ's water. No danger from the state governments - they are as blind as bats. I'll remove my tongue from my cheek now...

Vanda Symon said...

I missed that one. I usually feel everything, so I don't know what happened there. Perhaps I was out in the car.

The Paradoxical Cat said...

Righty - ho, got that - it's Ok for NZ to slide closer to Australia, but we have to BYO fresh spring water ;-)