Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June Baby


It's Mum's birthday today, her first birthday in the after-life.

She now belongs to the would-have-been birthday world: she would have been 81 years old.

One year ago I blogged a happy birthday to her, a congratulations for attaining her 80th.

It was quite a triumph for her to have reached that milestone, as she was already deep into her death agony (which unaccountably lasted another 12 days...)

She survived that long by sheer force of will, much as she had achieved so much in her at times very difficult life, by the strength of her love for life and for her husband and family, and her determination to survive against the odds.

She was one tough cookie, a powerful person in a misleadingly frail package, and her children were well trained up to remember and celebrate her birthday and there is no way we would ever stop now.

Happy birthday Mum.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Grandma, have been thinking of you a lot over this last week.

I hope all is well.
DB.

sas said...

Lovely photo and post. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I hope you are smiling today.

Anonymous said...

You love your mother very much, and your comments and photo are a beautiful way of honouring her. My mother died on the Ides of March 2000, and exactly 8 years later, I was lying in emergency, hallucinating while I waited to enter the operating theatre to have my appendix removed. The link between the days was almost overwhelming, and I knew that my grandmother, mum's mother, had died at my age from peritonitis. Just before I passed out, a vision of my mother appeared (just like a photo when she was my age), and I felt a soft brush across my face. It wasn't my time, Mum was there to assure me. I miss her, as you do your mum.

The Paradoxical Cat said...

Thank you, people.

Claire Beynon said...

I had a brief encounter with your Mum, PC - at the launch of her poetry book in S. Dunedin some years ago. It was an occasion characterized by grace, humility and dignity. It's somehow fortifying, the way you so lovingly acknowledge her.