Monday, June 29, 2009

Darwin 200


I'm getting a buzz out of kind of participating in DARWIN 200 because I am rereading Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World.

The Lost World Read 2009
programme (click to see the website) organised for a mass reading of the text, and the book I'm reading was published especially for the purpose. On the back it says:

This book is being distributed free as part of The Lost World Read 2009. Once you have finished reading it please pass it on to someone else.

Darwin 200
is of course the commemoration of Charles Darwin's bicentenary, and the celebrations this year also mark 150 years since he published the famous book on his theories on natural selection.

Arithmetic is not one of my strong points, but that means he was 50 years old, doesn't it, when he made himself one of the great names of world history.

The vox pop canvassed on the streets of my city this week found a young woman who counted the death of Michael Jackson, coincidentally at the age of 50 years, as one of the defining moments of world history.

I guess time will tell on that one. I'm not saying she's not right.

It could be that Michael Jackson's example and era has marked the end of human natural selection, and the culmination of humanity's new ability to unnaturally select.

No comments: