Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Day at the Races

A small town summer race meeting. New Year's Day. Warm fine weather tempered by a pleasant breeze. Picnic atmosphere. Entertainment and refreshments. Competitions. Good-natured, relaxed family-friendly crowd of several thousand people, with a fun fair for the kids.

In a later race there was a photo finish for third place. The horse paid $2.70. I had bet $1 for a win and $1 for a place, on that horse. Which is no way to get rich, but is better than a slap on the face with a wet bus ticket. And it's certainly a better return than I could have expected if I had been assisted by a 'financial advisor'.

Start as you mean to go on, the saying goes. Well I don't intend to go to any more race meetings this year, but I hope there'll be lots more time to stop and enjoy life with friends and family.

All the best for 2009!

No comments: