Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cat O'Clock


I call it the cat time of day. Early evening. It's a great time for a gentle saunter around the neighbourhood.

It's a guaranteed meet-the-cat hour. And as somebody once said, "I've never met a cat I didn't like."

The cats are all out on their stoops and their stairs, on their porches, by their gates, under their hedges.

They're sniffing the breeze, or waiting for their humans, or relaxing after dinner.

But most of all, they are establishing ownership of their territory.

With every twitch, they are negotiating minor border disputes.

They are placed like chess pieces and they stand their ground. Not much action at this hour. It's all about bluff and show.

It reminds me of the stylised posturing between India and Pakistan border guards (and a similar very tense but more static stand-off, which I've seen in person, takes place on the border between North and South Korea at Panmunjom).

The onlooker may well hope the challenge remains ritualised and bloodless.

2 comments:

Claire Beynon said...

Hi PC - here's a bit of silly nonsense for you... The following lines arrived in the mail (on a non-Christmas card). Given there's a tabby lolling amongst the text, I immediately thought of you.

"Life is hard, then you nap # Curiosity never killed anything except maybe a few hours # When in doubt, cop an attitude # Never sleep alone when you can sleep on someone's face # if you're not getting enough attention, try knocking over several expensive antique lamps # always give generously - a small rodent left on the bed tells them, "I care.'"

I especially like "when in doubt, cop an attitude!"

I hope to get back to blogging this weekend... have lots of ideas backed up and a quiet house for the next few days.

Good to see you down at St.C the other day - take care, C

The Paradoxical Cat said...

My cat is my guru :-)