Monday, August 4, 2008

Be Kind Rewind

Saw another festival movie today, Be Kind Rewind, described as "A hundred minutes of sweet natured idiocy."

Hmm. It was a little too sentimental and inane for my liking. (I do like my non-time-paradox movies to be dark and deep and meaningful, and/or satirical and biting.) But it was amiable enough, especially the Ghostbusters 'remake'. And there actually was a message, I think. Something about moving beyond imitation to find your own voice and tell your own story. And there's something in that for all of us.

Probably the most interesting thing for me about Be Kind Rewind is the wacky official web site. Anyone who enters has to be brave enough to be spoofed and messed around, in a good-natured way.

Something today made me think about my favourite movie this year. It was in an earlier festival, and was an engrossing documentary about the type face Helvetica. Yes, I am fascinated by such things. I once wrote a 30,000 word dissertation about the English apostrophe.

The state of television in New Zealand is so bad that I need to go to the movies to see a decent doco.

No comments: